Tuesday, March 3, 2009

From the Shop: Spray Booth

Ever wondered how guitars get such a great finish on them? Well, here's part of the answer! This picture was taken of my "spray booth", while two recently sprayed instruments were drying. I've had lots of experience creating great finishes on fine instruments, and take pride in my work.

There's a fine balance between protection/durability and resonance when applying a finish. If you put too much on, it will make the guitar's wood not ring as much. But if you don't put enough on, you can end up with places that wear out over time. Most cheap guitar makers automate everything, and you end up with either a guitar that's got bare wood showing after a year of playing it, or a guitar that sounds like a ukelele because it's been gunked up with too much finish! That's one of the reasons I do all my finishes by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let everybody know what you think!